I discovered Future Me one lonely night while surfing the web and spent the next hour at the site, enthralled by the painfully honest, strange, mundane, or wonderfully ambitious letters people had written to themselves.
And that's what this site is all about. It allows you to write a letter to yourself and have it emailed to you at a later date - be it a week, a month, a year, 10 years, or (supposedly) 50 years later.
But it also allows you to make your entries anonymously public, and that's what kept me at the site for so long.
It was as if I stumbled upon a thousand diaries mixed up into one. I found a heartfelt letter from a father to his kids, to be sent to them when he was no longer alive. I found so many letters that really were mean-spirited - it was sad to see so many people sending themselves mean notes about how they'd better get their live straight in the future. Some were simply snapshots of ones life at the time. Others were reminders that by the time this get this email, they'd better be back in college or have landed that good job or taken that trip across the world.
I joined in on the fun and wrote myself a long email about my life and what's going on at the moment. Sure enough, a year later it showed up on time in my mailbox. I honestly had forgotten about it so it was a nice suprise. I didn't make it public though. It had too many personal details. :)
Check it out at http://futureme.org/
You can jump directly to the public entries by clicking here.
Wednesday, November 15, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment